Wednesday September 2 2009 is the the third Indigenous Literacy Day (ILD), which aims to help raise urgently needed funds to address the literacy crisis in remote Indigenous communities.
There are a range of events taking place across Australia, and you can find information on them here.
- Participating publishers will donate 5% or more of their takings from titles invoiced on September 2 2009.
- Participating booksellers will donate 5% or more of their takings from September 2 2009. Booksellers can also donate to ILP.
- Bookshops and schools will hold awareness raising events in their local communities to support Indigenous Literacy Day.
- Schools can participate in The Great Book Swap, or undertake other fundraising activities.
- Businesses are invited to pause at work and read to support Indigenous literacy and make a gold coin donation or also participate in The Great Book Swap.
- You can help by attending activities in your local area; buy a book at a participating bookshop on September 2 2009, get involved in your local Great Book Swap or organise your own fundraising literary lunches or morning teas.