Information received from Queensland Health 2013 Influenza Surveillance YTD data shows the highest rate of hospitilisation for children in the under-five age group diagnosed with Influenza, compared to other groups.
Signs & Symptoms can include: fever, dry cough, muscle and joint pain, tiredness/extreme exhaustion, headache, sore throat and stuffy nose. Fact sheet available here.
Steps to take to prevent flu outbreaks include:
- Encourage seasonal influenza vaccination for any person aged six months or older and those at higher risk of complications from Influenza – pregnant women, children with medical conditions. Fact sheet available here.
- Staff, children and parents to practice and promote good hand and respiratory hygiene
- Ensure coughs and sneezes are covered, preferably with a disposable tissue
- Strict attention to environmental cleaning of all surfaces
- Persons including children with symptoms of flu should not be attending or visiting Child Care environments, including Family Day Care homes